50 Life Mantras by Dalai Lama
By: Vijay Soni, Ph.D. | Founder and C.E.O. Scipreneur
The Dalai Lama, his holiness is a world leader that is committed to promoting positive values such as, forgiveness, self-discipline, tolerance, compassion, and contentment. He is a spiritual leader like no other and is highlighting the importance of happiness and world peace. Here is his life-changing quotes:
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson!
3. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
4. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
5. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
6. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
7. Spend some time alone every day.
8. Open your arms to change, but don’t give up your values.
9. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
10. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
11. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
12. Remember the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
13. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order getting it.
14. In order to carry a positive action, we must develop here a positive vision.
15. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.
16. Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions.
17. Follow the three R’s: Respect for Self, Respect for Others and Responsibility for all your Actions.
18. Sleep is the best meditation.
19. A lack of transparency results in distrust and a deep sense of insecurity.
20. Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
21. Too much self-centered attitude, you see, brings, you see, isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger. The extreme self-centered attitude is the source of suffering.
22. The best way to resolve any problem in the human world is for all sides to sit down and talk.
23. All major religious traditions carry basically the same message that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
24. In order to become prosperous, a person must initially work very hard, so he or she has to sacrifice a lot of leisure time.
25. Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life.
26. The important thing is that men should have a purpose in life. It should be something useful, something good.
27. Disagreement is something normal.
28. Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health.
29. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
30. The purpose of our lives is to be happy.
31. To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do therefore is to strive and persevere and never give up.
32. If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.
33. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order getting it.
34. It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
35. As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all Beings.
36. People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.
37. The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness.
38. If you can cultivate the right attitude, your enemies are your best spiritual teachers because their presence provides you with the opportunity to enhance and develop tolerance, patience, and understanding.
39. Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek.
40. Let us try to recognize the precious nature of each day.
41. The more you are motivated by Love, The more Fearless & Free your action will be.
42. Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them, we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger. Instead of getting angry nurture a deep caring and respect for troublemakers because by creating such trying circumstances they provide us with invaluable opportunities to practice tolerance and patience.
43. To conquer own self is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
44. The way to change others’ minds is with affection and not anger.
45. Instead of wondering WHY this is happening to you, consider why this is happening to YOU.
46. You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions.
47. Anger is the ultimate destroyer of your own peace of mind.
48. Love is the absence of judgment.
49. I defeat my enemies when I make them my friends.
50. Someone else’s action should not determine your response.
What’s your favorite Dalai Lama Quote? Please share your quotes in the comment section below.
About Author: Vijay Soni, Ph.D. is a researcher, entrepreneur, motivator, creative business developer and thinker. He is working as postdoctoral researcher at Weill Cornell Medicine, New York. He founded a new venture called “Scipreneur” to bridge Science with Entrepreneurship.